Friday, October 12, 2007

It's Fab Friday...or is it?






This is what happens when you let a six year old play up in his room when he promises to be good. That my blogging friends is baby powder a full economy size bottle of it. Even the poor gorilla was not safe. It has been a heck of a week in the cheerio household. Mainly all the daycare kids have been sent to me sick all week. Between teething and colds it has been busy. Isn't it funny how some parents insist their kids are "just fine" at home even though they are sick with you all day? lol. Apparently their kids only get sick at school and daycare...that is where they have all their fevers, green snotty noses, nausea. Once they get home their crabbies go away, their fevers miraculously disappear, and they are perfect angels for their parents. yeah right. I gotta get outta daycare soon lol.

Trix started with a new occupational therapist this week. The lady he was seeing was in a car accident over the summer and still has not recovered we are praying for her recovery. The new lady was great! She also had the patience of an angel since my regular babysitter was not here to watch my other two kids so I had to take them in addition to extra daycare kids in with us. So in I march yesterday with 6 ACTIVE kids in tow. She wisely directed us to the indoor gymn type room. I can tell this lady is going to be great!

I saw a nutritionist for Trix on Wed evening this week. We are going to try a few th ings but the first thing she wants to do is eliminate ALL dairy from Trix's diet. The doc and the ENT neglected to tell me that the chronic ear infections that led to Trix's tubes in his ears was a classic sign of a milk allergy. I had tried to take him off milk once before because I had found through some research that it can help calm down a lot of his sensory issues, but after about a week he was so obnoxious and frustrated and honery that we finally gave it back to him and he was fine. So I thought he needed it. He LOVES milk and after talking to the therapist I realized he also loves cheese. I started thinking aobut his favorite foods and almost all of them have some sort of dairy in them. She explained to me that he craved it because your body treats foods your allergic too like a drug. So basically my son is getting "high" off of milk...if this is what he is allergic too. She also explained the reason he was so obnoxious when I tried to take him off it before is that he was going through withdrawls. She told me for the next two weeks to keep him completely off dairy and then after that we will slowly reintroduce certain foods and see if we can pinpoint anything. I will say this lady is great! She told me the reason the docs never told me this before is that they are trained to treat symptoms but not necessarily find out why or what is causing it. I do not want to make it seem like i do not like docs though because I do. I just think that from a preventative side this is a better idea.

Otherwise we are deep into the school thing and getting ready for the holidays. :)

2 comments:

  1. Why not take him to the dr and get him tested to see if he is allergic to milk? Yes a body can crave what it is allergic too, but it doesn't automatically mean that he is. It is best to get him tested. I have a dd who is allergic to milk, eggs and beef, we have been through it all! I have also had all my other kids tested and they came up with nothing. Get a blood test, because the skin prick test can create false positives. Good luck!
    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if that allergy thing holds true, then I am allergic to chocolate...and I can make my peace with that :P
    If I were you I'd make the other folks come and pick up their sick kids...they're giving everyone else cooties, which gives all those families cooties and their friends etc....

    ReplyDelete