Friday, June 15, 2007

Wanta buy a golfball??



Here he is...the Godfather of Golfballs. I should probably explain...We live in a golf course on the 10th green. Yes sometimes we do get golfballs on our fence, no our house has never been hit with one because of the way the course is angled. Most of the time the bad golfers just hit the tree in front of the back of our house. However my son loves to hunt for golfballs, in fact all 3 of my children do. They will even go to the next door neighbors backyard and clean out her yard of golfballs so it does not get in the way when she mows. She gets more then we do. The other day my son who loves to watch the golfers noticed that one of them got on over the fence into our yard. He went over picked it up and gave it back to the golfer. The golfer in return gave him a DOLLAR. That was all it took...my sweet charming cheesy grin boy is now a golfball selling fool. He was hooked. It must be something about that green piece of paper in his hand. Since then he has made it his business. I should probably remind you he is only 4. He takes his bucket of balls every day and sits on his little lawnchair at the fence and asks everyone who drives buy if they want to buy a golfball. Most players are very nice but politely decline, however that one golfer who started the whole thing comes buy to golf every Thursday and always stops and buys a golfball from Lucky Charms. This is enough to keep him interested. making money is like a drug for him lol he comes in eyes sparkling saying "mommy I made another dollar!" Last week the guy was sick so he did not make it out to golf on his usual day and my son was starting to get frustrated at the fact that he asked everyone if they wanted to buy a golf ball and no one was buying. (our golf course is very very busy so that is a lot of no's for a youngin) Well the other day he hit the jackpot, he suddenly started selling lots of balls that day. in one afternoon he made 2.50 but he sold like 4 or 5 balls. Some of the golfers have been noticing him trying every day and started carrying change I think. I decided to listen to his sales pitch. Now I know why he is so successful. Here is two different pitches I overheard from him:

Lucky Charms: Wanta buy a golfball? (charming smile pasted on his cute face)

Golfer: no thanks

Lucky Charms: Please

Golfer: no thanks sorry

Lucky Charms: Please I am saving up for a quad (4wheeler) that my parents said they wont buy me because it is too expensive so I am trying to help them out.

Golfer: trying not to laugh says ok...here is a dollar!

Next pitch he used:

LC: Wanta buy a golf ball?

G: oh no thanks son

LC: are you sure their really good golfballs

G: I am sure they are but I have plenty ..thanks for the offer

LC: in his best voice...Sir how could you not buy from a child?

G: Looking remorseful...he came over and handed him money.

LC: look mom I got a dollar!

Guess what...he did NOT get a dollar that time...it was a FIVE dollar bill!

Now you all know why I dress Lucky Charms in bright orange all the time...

The Cheerio Queen.

2 comments:

  1. That is tooo funny. My 8 year old would love to go and sell with him. He is always looking for ways to make money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute. My son would just love to keep the golf balls. He loves to golf! Living on a golf course would be ideal for him (and my husband). ;o)

    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete