Thursday, February 7, 2008

Brownies, Egypt, foreign language and more...

Ok so that kind of covers all the stuff or most of what has been going on in the Cheerio Household this week. :)

First I will start with tonight where Honey Nut and I went to the library to meet a couple of her girlfriends from her brownie troop to study girlscout customs in Egypt! That was fun! The girls had to find a picture of the flag, their uniform, what they are called there (it is not girlscouts), food, games they play etc. That is one of the things i love about being a homeschooler...I am learning right along with my children. haha. I don't remember some of this from school. Maybe it is mommy brain.
While we were there Honey Nut found a computer program where she can learn different languages. There is vocabulary for Spanish, German, French, and English on there! I told her to try and limit it to one language at at a time. I was secretly thrilled that she came up with this idea on her own. She has been bugging me for awhile now to learn a new language. Again...one of the perks of homeschooling, she is really loving schoolwork now and I no longer have to fight her on it except for repetitive work lol.

Let's see what else has been going on around here...oh yeah Lucky Charms is back to selling golf balls again. Those of you who have been reading for awhile will remember that Lucky Charms actually made close to 200 dollars last year selling golfballs to the golfers on the course we live on. He is still riding that quad he saved for too! Bless his heart...I don't mean to brag but come one the kid is only 5! And he earned most of the money before his 5th birthday in August!

Trix is doing well also! He is really coming around with some of his sensory issues. I am going to be trying the "Feingold diet" with him and actually all the kids. I don't have the kit and food list yet but from what i understand it takes out the additives, artificial colorings, sahlulites (sp?)and basically all the extra crud that the food giants are now putting in to the food. It will require a lot more "from scratch" cooking from me I think but luckily i love to cook so it should not be a problem. :) It is also supposed to help...some of the sensory issues Trix has as well as reduce seizures. This is good since last week Trix had a neurology appointment and the new neurologist adjusted his medication dosage a bit...then that night Trix wound up having one of his "typical" seizures and when I gave him the diastat to stop it...well it worked in reverse which was odd. It put him into convulsions and he started to actually choke on his saliva. That bothered me a lot. You see most of Trix's seizures are quiet seizures where he gets quiet and does not say much...he will usually plug his ears and maybe shiver like he is cold. I will hold him until he is done and has somewhat snapped back. My biggest fear after seeing him choke on his saliva is that I did not hear the seizure...he was in bed and I was actually STANDING IN HIS ROOM tucking his little brother in on the bottom bunk. It was not until I looked up to see Trix and saw his eyes wide open that I realized he was in a seizure. We wound up calling the paramedics again...it was not quite as severe as the huge Grand Mal one he had last year where he had no diagnoses yet, and it went on 45 minutes that we knew of, however, this one lasted on and off 25 to 30 minutes, he would start to come out of it and then go back in it. He did wind up leaving the house in an ambulance again but just to the emergency room and Hubs went with him because it was snowing and icy here and being the sweet hubby he is he did not want me driving in it and especially not upset.I have a baby monitor in his room, however I am trying to find an actual seizure monitor...this is a lot harder then I thought so far I can only find one in the UK or Canada ...neither company has emailed me back yet and they are expensive, they meausre any movement he makes, and if he does not make a sound if he drools excessively it will set off an alarm in my room to wake me and Hubs up. I personally don't care the cost as long as we are being alerted to him having one, his life is just too precious to put a pricetag on. :) Well enough of that. Other then to say that i have been journaling a lot about it and I find it calms me down. This time when he had one I did not freak out ...ok well a little when he was choking...thank God hubby was there (I am so blessed with an AWESOME husband) and he stays super calm. After they left I broke down and cried but then was ok. Hubs and I the next day though our nerves were shot all day.

I am down to just two daycare families now which has taken a whole lot of stress off me. It also cut my income down but that is ok because Hubs has had two very promising interviews with a great company in which he would be making significantly more then he is now! He is still working at the current company which is a very nice company and they love him there but they are down in their sales big time and hubs is being proactive in looking elsewhere he does not want to get unexpectedly caught in layoffs again this year. However he says if he gets this new job he will be sad to give his notice. As for me...I am about ready to print up the business cards for my new venture. :) I am a life coach for special needs nannies. I will be training nannies for families of special needs children and then I will be their life coach for when they need to talk when they realize what a wonderfully challenging job they have. :) It was my own life coach who helped me realize this is what I am being called to do...well my life coach and God who whispered to me that this is what he wants me to do. Remind me to tell you when I have more time about how I actually heard God's voice pointing me in the direction lol. In any case I have such a big background in childcare and working with special needs kids, especially in the last two years with this wonderful family I was doing daycare for that I felt it was time to help someone else in that arena. :)

Well this whole thing turned into a novel! whew! But I will sign off for tonight and I will keep trying to post more frequently. Those of you who were praying for us to get over all our cold/flu bug the last few weeks...THANKYOU! I got the emails and I really appreciate it!

The Cheerio Queen

No comments:

Post a Comment