Friday, May 11, 2007

Happy Friday!



Ok so in going with the may day weight loss challenge...I decided to go back to what works for me. Water Aerobics! I cannot say enough about this. It is how I lost all the baby weight from my 1st and 2nd pregnancies, although I did not go back to it after I had baby #3 and since he is now 4.5 I guess I just cannot say it is "baby weight" anymore lol. Last night I huffed and puffed and squeezed my way into my suit it was late..the class I am taking goes from 8:30-9:30. :) Gee I am such a party girl. I walked into the pool and took my place on the bench with the towel wrapped around my waist...no need to gross out and scare other people with my stark white legs, and jelly roll in the middle...making it look as though my swimsuit was blousing almost. ick. When it was our turn to get in the pool I realized there is a difference between the last time I did this and this time. Last time it was in the shallow end, but this time it is in the deep end...I am guessing it is probably better for the workout because in the deepend you are always moving to stay afloat, but when they said here put these W-E-I-G-H-T-S on your ankles I was starting to get suspicious! I quickly glanced over to the instructor to see if she was the person I might have accidentally cut off in traffic while I was looking for that all important lipstick because you have to look pretty when you sweat and huff and puff. Nope was not her. It turns out these keep you from sinking in the deep end. They forgot to mention they make you float too. I get into the lukewarm water and the instructor in her cute little perky 18 year old voice says "ok lets run and punch!" excuse me? I signed up for water aerobics again so I would not have to run. Plus how do you run in water with weights on? hmmm ok I will give it a try. I did, maybe not fast but I did move eventually. at one point we were instructed to cross country ski in the water while pretending to pull a rope with our hands out of the water...oh and we were supposed to be moving during this. I vaguely remember admitting to another classmate...well I am cross country skiing but I don't know if I am moving or not...does letting the movement of the water swoosh you forward count? My favorite part has to be when I finally am able to move and get a good groove going and the perky little instructor says "ok! now turn around and go the opposite way!" of course because now all the water is comign at me and I am trying to keep my head above the water and not drown, but hey I am still moving. Finally after 9 hours oops I mean 15 minutes, we switched to a few other exercises. At the end we moved the ankle weights up to our arms and put the hand water dumbells under our knees and did crunches...ok i have to admit this is my favorite part because these are crunches I can actually do! In fact in all honesty most of the exercises I do in the water...I could never do out of it without kicking myself in the head, or passing out that is. There is something about water that makes us feel graceful, perhaps it is the wild splashing to keep ourselves afloat, or the chlorine in our eyes from the passing avid exerciser who is ten times faster then everyone else, or perhaps it is the fact that we have like zero weight in the water...that is until we get OUT of the water. When we do that it feels like we gained ten pounds. Either way although my arms are a bit sore today mainly because I overdid it myself, I do feel better after having a workout and I met one new lady who was about the only one there last night over 20 and she is actually right where I am at so it is nice to have someone to keep me going and motivated. I will still go back. My plan is to attend two days a week and on saturdays I am going to take the kids swimming. that way I get 3 days a week in the water, add that to portion control and hopefully in a couple months I will start to resemble myself again instead of the supersized me. :) I hope everyone has a good weekend and most of all a Happy Mothers Day!

The Cheerio Queen

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I wish we had a pool here. We don't even have a YMCA within a hour's drive. If we had water my knee would not be popping and cracking from the impact of walk, but we do what we can.

    As times goes on we should all see some real results, I am excited for you! And for me too.

    ReplyDelete