Wednesday, May 16, 2007

WFMW

Ok so this is not a new tip but one worth mentioning. :) I have been checking out different cd's from the library for the kids to help "control the mood" so to speak around the house. I noticed that there is more hectic times then others throughout the day around here especially as a homeschooling mom with a full daycare. :) In any case I have always made sure to have mozart on during school work because I for one know it works to help improve math and especially speech. As you all know Trix has sensory integration dysfunction and what tipped me off to the fact that something was not right was the fact that he was not speaking, he was trying but everything he was saying was coming out wrong. If you know me you know that talking is something I am known for. lol Anyway I read about a study where a child was autistic and had years of speech therapy etc but would not speak, then the doc did a controversial "mozart therapy" treatment twice a week where the mother would bring in the child and they would put earphones on the child and play mozart music. In a few months the child started speaking! Clearly too! I figured it was worth a shot. So I started playing it before my son went to school and within 3 weeks my son's teacher called me to ask if I had gotten him speech outside of school because she had noticed a big difference in his speech! One other thing I noticed was that he was calmer and not so "overload on his senses" too. So I dug back into my preschool teacher memories and started experimenting. I have certain music I play for different times of day. Usually when it is creative play like with playdough or gak I put on whatever kids cd I checked out from the library, school work is mozart or some form of classical, lunch time is either smooth jazz, or sometimes I will get quiet time cd's from the library to help transition the kids from activity, to lunch, to quiet time. My kids love music and get a good appreciation for different times. Interestingly enough my son with the sensory issues has the best ear for good music! He is passionate about his worship cd and will dance for an hour if I let him, he also loves big band swing music. :) ok so it is not rocket science but at least my days are not as hectic, I also will play softer music right before we get in the car to go somewhere where I want the kids to behave. It calms them down.
works for me!
The Cheerio Queen

2 comments:

  1. I also have a son with very sensitive ears who loves music - this is a great tip and we will be implementing this in our home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Someone BeautifulMay 16, 2007 at 6:19 PM

    Thank you for sharing this! We do Therapeutic Listening for my son with the special headphones. Look it up if you are interested, you can buy it and do it at home, but it is best to have a therapist trained in it to advice you which CDs to use. We have done Mozart and dolphin sounds among others. The best thing that helped our son's speech was turning off the TV last December. He has only watched TV 2 or 3 times since then. Even though he watched educational videos, it was turning OFF the TV that helped. He "reads" more and listens to stories and is interacting instead of getting overloaded by the flashing images on the screen.

    ReplyDelete