Wednesday, May 23, 2007

wfmw



So this tip I came up with the other day and it has worked WONDERS! I am sure all you moms can relate to the issue of kids getting into the dvd's and either, the dvd's get scratched, lost, or are all over the place because they are not put back properly. We worked really hard with our children to get them to not touch the dvd's however because of the type of shelf we had they would pull out the dvd cases and decide what they wanted to watch, or they would be prone to sometimes trying to pick a movie and put it in on their own. But the real irritation was that the dvd cases were not getting put back right and the shelf always looked messy. So I came up with the idea to get one of those leather bound cd "book" holders that you keep cd's in your car in. So I sent Hubs out to get one. He came back with the case you see above. Not exactly what I had in mind, however I loved it when I found out it has a LOCK! We put all our movies in it by type. i.e. kids movies, comedy, chick flicks, sci fi etc. Then we also made an inventory list on the computer. We wrote numbers on the outside of the pages the cd's are in with a sharpie as to not mark up the cd. When we did the inventory list we put the corresponding numbers to the plastic sleeve page. When the kids want to watch a movie we break out the list and they choose one. Then we flip to that number and whala there is the movie. The best part is no more finger prints on the movies, or scratches etc. It also allows us to control how much they are watching. Even cooler we have a dvd player in the car and so we can just get the case and bring it with us on long trips! So no more mess! Works for me! don't forget to click on the link and check out more cool wfmw ideas!
The Cheerio Queen

4 comments:

  1. I've heard this tip before but keep forgetting about it. My kids love to pull all the DVDs off the shelf and take them out, mix them up and leave a pile for me to clean up. They get scratched, broken, and lost so much. I really need to do this, then I can set it out of their reach.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this idea! Especially the lock part. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that's just way too organized for me! ;-) We have these pull-out trays in our monstrous entertainment center and I LOVE them. I tried to put movies in alphabetical order, but then we get more and they don't fit in the right place and pretty soon, it's a mess again. Thankfully, I have teenagers so they are good about taking care of them - just not always putting them back where they belong.

    ReplyDelete