Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Gooey Gunk and other stuff...

Happy Tuesday everyone. I know your curious about the title with "gooey gunk" in it. This is a silly putty like product I made for the kids to play with. It is similar to playdough except it feels like jello but does not stick to your hands. In fact it is a cross between playdough and silly putty. I LOVE this stuff! It is great sensory for the kids to play with, and it does not stick to the floor like playdough does either. The cool thing about this stuff is it reforms itself after you play with it. like if you cut it with playdough scissors and then stick it in a bag in pieces it will reform itself to one big glob again. Very science like if you ask me. ;) I got the recipe from the childrens director at church and finally got it made up. The kids are having a blast with it...especially since it is called "gooey gunk" hehe.
Today we did school and Honey Nut finished her 3 pages of math right away first and then moved on to spelling. She is loving the webpage "spelling time" that I posted about earlier. If I can ever remember which blog I read about that on I will give proper credit where it is due. I am eternally grateful to the other blogger who mentioned it. I read too many blogs I think. haha.
The boys are doing great with their handwriting and picking it up fast. I also figured out with the right books and especially if they are from the library the boys are getting more into reading. Who would have thought that the book has to come from the library to be "cool" . Hey I am just happy they are getting into it I come from a family of hardcore readers. I LOVED reading when I was little and still do. I also love reading to the kids. Honey Nut and I have been reading "Little House on the Prairie" lately and she loves it. Right now she is more of a "want to be read to" reader but I am hopeful. I think I need to dig out the pizza hut coupons I got for reading. I am also thinking about making an incentive chart as another alternative. For every so many pages she reads she gets a point and when she gets say 15 points or so then she can do something special. For instance she wants desperately to go to the dollar tree and pick out some more special girly makeup with her Nana ...she has her own makeup bag at nana's house and they do makeup when she is there. So I am thinking of making it so she can earn that trip.
The boys are into this book called "I Stink"...I am not kidding. It really is called that lol. It is by Jim Mcmullen and it is all about a garbage truck. I was touched this morning when I saw my older son who usually uses books only to whack his younger brother with...actually reading it to him this morning and they had one of the daycare kids up there too. I thought oh how sweet he is reading and they are laughing. ...but then I heard him naming the stuff off that the garbage truck in the book "eats" and realized the reason he was so eager to read it was so he could talk about the dirty diapers, and puppy poo the garbage truck takes away along with the ugly underwear . No wonder he was so eager to read...but hey it is a start and if he can find joy out of a book even if it's main content is about gross boy stuff well then so be it. :)
Today has been good so far...hubs is on another interview...please keep him in your prayers. One of the jobs he was hoping to get a call back on called today to say they hired someone else which was a little discouraging but I know it will happen when it is supposed to. :) The kids are done with their schoolwork and are upstairs watching a movie for quiet time so the little ones can take their naps. Pretty soon I am going to get off here and start dinner prep so when my afterschool daycare charge gets here I can give him my full attention. I don't know if I ever mentioned this before but he is special needs..he is such a great kid and so fun to have but he does require quite a bit of attention for the hour he is here and it make it hard to get dinner on the table on time if I don't do prep work. Plus I just realized it is super quiet upstairs and even though my little ones are watching a movie supposedly I think they need to be checked on. :) Hope your Tuesday is going great!

The Cheerio Queen

3 comments:

  1. Too Quiet does not equal less mess around here either.

    I saw your name on the "Tales from the Scales" website and I had to hop over to see what you were about.

    Hail to the Queen!
    Bleach free blessings from another Homeschool Mom - even though her kids don't like cheerios.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The gooey gunk sounds like great fun! How convenient that it reforms itself! lol.
    I had to laugh at the book your son was reading aloud. That's hilarious. Just like a boy to get such a kick out of a book like that. But how wonderful he was so willing to read. We really enjoy the Little House series. I used the Prairie Primer with my eldest one year and we enjoyed it.
    Said a prayer for your husband's job situation.
    I enjoyed reading about your day.

    Hope you rest well tonight.
    ~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, no recipe?! You're fired! Just kidding - although I'd love to have the recipe... Please?

    ReplyDelete